Invest $2.5m & emigrate to Australia
Investing $2.5m offers an investor the opportunity to invest into a compliant investment framework maintained by a regulated fund manager. The investor will be required to evidence previous investment and/or business experience to achieve the minimum 65 points required in the investor assessment.
Benefits for the Investor
- Ability to live, work, open a business, study and retire
- A high standard of living
- World-class education and healthcare
- Visa includes your spouse and children
- Passive investment opportunities
- Work, live, study and retire
- A high standard of living
- Permanent Residency after 3-years
- No tax on worldwide income
The investor visa offers a direct pathway to permanent residence after three years for the investor and their family.
To discover more, complete our free assessment to receive your free guide and to arrange a chat with one of our friendly experts.
An approved Australian fund manager must hold the investment with:
- An Australian Securities Commission Licence
- Membership in the Australian Investment Council
- Investor Director Portfolio Licence
- Over A$ 100m under management
- Experience managing complying investment frameworks
Type of investment:
The A$2.5 million investment fund must comprise:
- 20% in eligible Venture Capital and Private Growth Equity funds (VCPE) investing in start-up and small private companies (A$ 500,000)
- 30% in eligible managed funds or Listed Investment Companies (LICs) that invest in emerging companies (A$ 750,000)
- 50% in managed funds or LICs that invest in qualifying assets. Including Australian listed securities, eligible corporate bonds or notes, annuities and real property (A$ 1.25 million).
The source of funds
Before accepting direct foreign investments, the Australian Investment company must conduct the following checks:
- Anti-money laundering checks
- A Know Your Clients onboarding process
- A Politically Exposed Person check
Points Test criteria
The Australian authorities apply a formulaic points system to determine a potential investor’s eligibility. An investor must secure a minimum of 65 points in the test to be eligible to emigrate as an investor. Each state may elect to increase the minimum points threshold required based on the local demand for direct foreign investment.
Investor points table
The upper age limit is 55 years, except in cases where exceptional circumstances can be argued. In our experience, we have found State Governments will offer a certain degree of flexibility on the upper age limit where it can be argued successfully.
Age in Years
18 - 24
25 - 32
33 - 39
40 - 44
44 - 54
55 and over
Often our clients are entrepreneurs or finished their education some time ago. Whatever the situation we offer guidance on how to secure the maximum possible points available.
Trade certificate, diploma or bachelor degree
A bachelor degree in business, science or technology
3) English language ability:
To prove an investor meets the Australian English language criteria they may be required to sit an IELTS test. Those investors educated in an English speaking country may be exempt from this test.
Standard of English
4) Financial Assets:
While the 188 visa stream points table awards points for net asset values over A$1.25m the minimum investment required for the 188b visa is A$2.5m. Beyond the minimum required investment within a compliant investment framework. Australia looks for potential further investments that may assist the economy.
Assets Net Value
5) Business experience:
Either as an entrepreneur, significant shareholder or senior manager. In certain cases, previous business experience may offer additional opportunities, in emigration terms and potential investments. While points can be secured based on previous business experience, this is not a mandatory requirement under the 188b visa stream.
From 4 to 7 years (Within the last 5-years)
Over 7 years (Within the last 8-years)
6) Investment experience:
A history of investing a minimum of A$250,000 is required. These investments must be held within a compliant investment framework. They may include various pension-related investments.
Not less than 4 years
7 years +
Our qualified experts assist with both your emigration case and sourcing the Compliant Investment Framework most suited to your individual emigration requirements.
The present document is intended for guidance and general information only and does not constitute or purport to provide you with legal advice. Such information is subject to changes without notice. Each case is unique and depends on the facts and circumstances of the individual and due consideration should be taken if applying the general information to your personal situation. For an evaluation of your personal circumstances, one of our team would be happy to assist.